If you are a director or want to become one, you’ll need a Director ID. A director identification number (Director ID) is a unique identifier you need to apply for once and will keep forever.
- A Director ID is a unique number given to an existing or intending director who has verified their identity with the Registrar.
- A Director ID is issued to a person forever.
- A person will keep their Director ID even if they stop being a company director, change their name or move interstate or overseas.
- Director ID is being introduced to provide traceability of a director’s relationships over time, and across companies, to assist regulators and external administrators to investigate a director’s involvement in what may be repeated unlawful activity, including illegal phoenix activity.
- All directors of a company or body corporate registered under the Corporations Act 2001 or a corporation registered under the Corporations (Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander) Act 2006 will be required to apply for a Director ID.
- Both existing and new directors will need to apply.
Director ID will be the first service delivered by ABRS and will be available via the Australian Business Registry Services (ABRS) website from November 2021.
The online application utilises a standard strength myGovID, along with other individual details such as your TFN, residential address, and other private details (such as a Bank Account, Dividend Statements etc).
Each person must apply for their own Director ID. No one can apply on their behalf (unless the Registrar is satisfied that the individual is unable to apply themselves).
It’s free to apply.
All directors of a company, registered Australian body, registered foreign company or Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander corporation will need a director identification number (Director ID)
You can apply for a Director ID from November 2021, and the program will progressively roll out between 2021 and 2024.
Transitional arrangements will allow directors to become familiar with the new requirement.
Please note that if you became director on or before 31 October 2021 you must apply for a director ID by 30 November 2022.
Director ID is being delivered under the Modernising Business Registers (MBR) program. The MBR program will bring together the Australian Business Register (ABR) and more than 30 Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) registers in one place – the Australian Business Registry Services (ABRS).
Shareholders, employees, creditors, consumers, external administrators and regulators are entitled to know the names and certain details of the directors of a company.
All directors are required by law to verify their identity with us before receiving a Director ID. This is important because it will help to:
- prevent the use of false or fraudulent director identities
- make it easier for external administrators and regulators to trace directors’ relationships with companies over time
- Identify and eliminate director involvement in unlawful activity, such as illegal phoenix activity.
How ProYou can help
As an Agent, ProYou cannot apply on behalf of a director. However, we can still provide assistance to our clients by providing information and guidance on the verification and application process, including if you are required to get a Director ID.
You can apply for your Director ID via the Australian Business Registry Services (ABRS) website from November 2021. Get in touch with ProYou if you need assistance
ProYou Business Advisory Pty Ltd
91 Phillip Street
Parramatta NSW 2150
ProYou Business Advisory Pty Ltd
PO Box W93
Parramatta Westfields NSW 2150
+61 2 9064 1300